Sunday, April 18, 2010


Looking at the party scene in Singapore, I'm glad that HOUSE music is slowly making its mark again........ especially with the mainstream market. Slowly, good outlets are embracing the genre and letting the mainstream know that it is still there and alive. Those HOUSE parties are getting the respect that it deserve in Singapore.

Unfortunately, I personally thing that a big portion of the punters are still very pretentious. I notice they will only start dancing when they know the DJ or someone else starts dancing. Its like..... "if someone is dancing, that means its a good song. If I start dancing, others may think I'm cool for digging the song..." Apart from that, most of the people who supports these parties are either DJs, former DJs, wanna be DJs, haters (all sorts, not restricting to music & people) and clueless mofos but wanna be cool with the crowd. Another cool thing is, there are more chicks digging HOUSE music...... especially the Malay ones. Due to the understanding of that, they automatically removed the 'Minah' tag that has been dangling on their chest.

What's missing is the support for those 'unidentified' DJs. Some of them are really good but the crowd are not so welcoming...... These guys need support from the senior ones. I remembered back in '96 or '97..... a DJ-turned-flight steward-turned DJ came up to me when I was still a newbie in the club. He said, "Dude, you selections are awesome, but you need to work on the technical part and programming. With a vibe like this, you'll stay in the business for sometime." You really need such support. That guy talking to me was Brendon P. Maybe he was nice to me coz I was the last DJ ever produced by the Juliana's group. Btw, not many people would know Juliana's, thus, they don't care. But if you ever hear our clubs, parties, achievements....... you wouldn't believe that it was all manage from an office in Haw Par Glass Tower.

Moving on, soon, I'm gonna be running a small outlet myself. It will be musically driven with new unknown DJs. I'm sure I'm not gonna make millions out of it, but, someone will benefit from this exercise. While others wanna just talk, let me try and get things started. So, there it is...... we are doing our part, what's yours? Are you ready to EMBRACE again?

1 comment:

AJ said...

Hey Raz...

I thought its really a great idea
to do so. Local clubs
are getting worse as they become rojak music clubs.

I really hope that local DJ will teach the younger generation to spin good music.

If u are opening the small outlet,
let me know. I can help u promote on my music blog and website.

AJ