Thursday, June 10, 2010

WHERE IS THE LOVE..........??

Here I am again trying to glorify the past.......

Glorifying my past, no?

For many of us (people like me), we got into DJ-ing because of the love of music and the passion of sharing our love to other people. Nothing beats the feeling of having people tell you that they enjoyed your music or they had fun during ur sets, or even, the next day these people called you and thank you for a great night that hey can't even remember. The main reason for all these are our love and passion for the music and what we do. From that on, DJs worked hard to search for quality sounds, remixes or even making their own music.

Nowadays, it seems that not many DJs can do that. Not because they don't want to, but, these DJs are very much occupied with other stuffs...... most of it is non-DJ-related nor it is music-related. These days, instead of concentrating on their music or sets, DJs had to think about how they are gonna get their payment from promoters/organizers, some had to think about ways of making themselves commercially viable for the business (it doesn't matter what is the standard of DJ-ing). On other levels, instead of concentrating on music, DJs had to double-up as technicians, general artisans or even scapegoats. Some even have to babysit managements, especially the ignorant ones. If this is already too much work, how about after all that, some DJs still need time to bitch or brag about each other's prowess. Damn, it is really tough being a DJ nowadays. With all the 'extra' work, who has time for the love-of-music??

where got time for music...?? busy, busy!!

I was quite fortunate to keep this passion privately nowadays. No more DJ-ing for me for the public. Ever since I was told that I was not good enuff for Singapore DJ scene, that was it for me. Time to let the 'intelligent' ones grow and take centre stage. Ever since I saw a DJ from UK 'specially' flown in for an event, and watched him struggle to operate a CDJ and a turntable, I knew the end was near. (If not mistaken it was at a Chivas event at Gallery Hotel 2yrs ago)

With the passion for the art of DJ-ing and music still burning high, I thought I can still contribute something to the scene. Maybe not as a DJ, and that is why I started my own showroom that deals with music-related or DJ-related stuffs. This way, I don't have to bother who 'rocked' the best party last night, whose crowd scream the loudest, who has the best remixes or who has the loudest applause. As long as you enjoyed your sets, ur music and went home happy, that I think is a bless. Sometimes it gets pretty monotonous that same people rocked same place every night....... same crew got screwed every night........ same remix got mixed every night and same heart got broken every night.

When I was living in Bangkok and traveling to parts of Asia, I notice how the locals protect their own talents. It took lots of pacifying, patience and humbleness before we get noticed and respected by the local jocks. Somehow, I can't say the same here. I'm still hoping that it would change soon (wishful thinking). We have many good local DJs and many more haters. But that's how things are.

On a final note, with the existence of my showroom and my interest of making proper DJ tools affordable, I hope to meet more local talents/DJs, and share the experience. Enough of the bickering in the forums by those 15yr-old twarts. We need to protect our kind, back in the 80s, the laymen call us ........ 'one-of-a-kind'.

1 comment:

Benesia said...

I can feel e emotion radiating from this entry. Spot on dude. To further complicate matters, someone out there is bringing in djs who can flash boobs.
Personally, I'm nobody to bitch abt such things, but just as you said, doing it for e love and sharing a good nightout. I'll always treasure some of e best moments, like playing at hideout, where e owners told me they ran out of beer for e night! Love it.