Thursday, August 19, 2010


Long ago, while in school, my Engrish teacher said to me, "If you wanna improve your Engrish, read more books and start speaking Engrish. Better if you mix with Engrish-speaking fwens." So, I did. Even though I didn't excel in my Engrish but I have since manage to write a few postings in my blog, wrote articles published in some magazines and hosted a few shows for the mass public.

Recently, I felt like I have been neglecting my own mother-tongue, the Malay language. Even though I managed to exhume a few praises from the former ministers like Sidek Saniff, Ahmad Mattar and Cikgu Suratman Markasan at a recent event which I hosted, in Malay!! I think I could do better with an improved vocabulary of the Malay language.

So, with that in mind I decided to improve myself, and that was when I remembered the former teacher's saying. I took the first Malay language peripheral I found at home and read it. It was a Malay magazine - Media Hiburan. To my disappointment, not only the words are still the same as it was 20 years ago, I thought I found spelling mistakes in all the articles. No improvement there, I decided to take the second advice. Start mixing with Malay-speaking fwens. Here is where I encounter more problems.

After a week with my Malay-speaking fwens..... I came home more confused than before as I didn't understand many parts of the conversation, In fact, I tried looking up some words in the Kamus (Malay Dictionary), but to no avail. Not sure if it's just me or the Malay language has gotten too sophisticated. Here's a list of words and phrases that I was still trying to figure out.

sachok, sachek - ??

wancheng - ???

berg - ???

step yek - ??

kajon - ??

"fuh, dek ni duk sek ah!" (referring to a girl?)

"mesti potong angin" - (I dunno what they were referring to....)

"ada budak kena kicap!" (I think it refers to a fight?)

"gua tak bohong ah, depan lampu gua cakap....." (got this from a fwen....)

No comments: