Sunday, August 15, 2010


Was watching the news on TV and saw how excited my fellow Singaporeans about the opening of the YOG. The never-ending praises and 'proudness' of being a Singaporean after the gutsy display of 'Youth' performance and technology........... Really?! A wise-old man use to tell me, "for every 10 person who says you're ugly, there'll be 10 more who will say the opposite". As we already know that it is just another propaganda, we, the normal Singaporeans, will only see what we're required to see....... on TV. Didn't I say before that our TV has something in common with the North Korean TV...???

First up....... congrats to Ivan - Creative Director and the whole technical team for the opening show. I know some people involve in the production team, and they've done some commendable things. Above it all....... how much difference is this from the NDP segments?? Same idea different concept? The showcase of how Singapore, from a fishing village turned into a metropolitan country. I heard someone whispered to me....... "If you think you know better, do lor......!" Seriously, with a budget of even a 10%th of $389 million, come try me (us). With partners like AIMS, and many others, I'm sure we can come out with something 'interesting'. Speaking of which...... how come the organizers couldn't reach an agreement with Sean Kingston's performance fees, which resulted in his MIA during the opening show. My question is, why didn't this issue sorted out way before the programme is confirmed?? Ok, enough of the opening event. We'll let you ponder about the show, as it will be on repeated telecast for the rest of the year.

One of the things that really made me cringe (apart from the 'Oh Yeah' song), is how they made (or force) Primary school students to stand in the rain to welcome the YOG torch. Were there any consent forms from the parents? Did any of the kids feel sick? Were there any safety measures taken as it was raining and there were some lighting flash?? This is similar to how we see the kindergarten students having to come out on a hot Sunday morning, waving the 'flags', because some MP in white is coming to the neighbourhood. Do you think they want to? Especially without the reward of a MacDonald's Happy meal. Talking about meals, I think our YOG volunteers would be extremely grateful if their meals are of MacDee's Happy meal. I wonder how're they doing today?? I wonder what are they eating today........? I was glad that I pulled out from being a volunteer.

As I was watching the repeat telecast of the repeated reports on the YOG network channel, I notice there are only 6 teams in the Soccer tournament? If the Youth Olympics is just second to the Olympics, why didn't the big countries participate?? Don't even ask about the young teams from Argentina, England, Holland or even Spain....... where are our neighbours Thailand, Malaysia and Indonesia?? Long ago, they taught us in school, 'it's not only about winning or losing, participation already makes you a winner....' so what happen ah...??!

Well, maybe it's not fair to only point out the setbacks, faults and disgruntles of the YOG. I'm sure there a some good things that come out of these such as .......... err.......... mmmmm........ I'll get back to you on that. Anyway, there are many other stories out there to add to this post. It's up to each and their own to decide, choose and ponder of these writes.

On a different note, to the young state representatives, I know how excited it is to have the nation's flag on your uniform. I've been in that situation before, so, I know. Be proud and enjoy the moment. Btw, I'm sorry that I will not pay $30 to watch any of the games. You want us to come support, you give privilege to Singaporeans. We are already paying for the all these.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well said! I'm shocked at the amount spent $389 million??? Every 3 second a child dies from extreme poverty. Every 6 seconds, a child dies from lack of access to sanitation. And we spend #389 million bucks as an investment to bring more people to Singapore?

Even at home, we have the m=homeless and those who sleeps out on the streets along Cuff Road. But we cant spend anything out of the $389 mil on them but on pyrotechnics, non-biodegradable materials and the list goes on...

Shame!