Tuesday, November 21, 2006

I thought I'd write something about what I saw in India.... which made me think about our lil' Singapore....

Last week was my 1st time in India, New Delhi. didn't know what to expect or how far behind/forward are they... well actually, most of the things that I saw around me or on the streets resembles Singapore/Kuala Lumpur as its in the 50s/60s. Yes.... things look as if they never change.... except for some parts which I think is quite alright.... what I mean some parts are in some clubs or joints that I went to...

I was at this place called Olive in New Delhi. chillout joint, place infested with rich kids spending their parents money and hangin' around looking cool. all the girls look like Karisma Kapoor, while some of the boys (only some) look really cool. drinks are bloody expensive but, they seem happy to keep walking to the bar and back with a beer or something. What amazes me is what I saw on stage. Yep.... there was a DJ with turntables and CD players, armed with a laptop. he was flanked by a tabla player, 2 vocalist (male & female). I swear I thought they were playing from a cd from one of Jose Padilla's album. As I came nearer, they were all playing 'live'!!!
damn!! the DJ was droping beats from laptop, scratch from turntables, dropping samples from cd, the tabla guy was doing his thing and the vocalist... goodness me!! the girl was just doing the hymms while the guy singing verses.. it sounds bloody awesome.... !!! try imagine those tracks from Talvin Singh, or some of the tracks from DJ-Kicks Thievery Corporation... you'll know what i'm talking about.

Well, maybe I wasn't blown away.... but I'm impressed with the sound quality, the mix, and how the performers blend with each other's 'flow'. and guess wat...? its not something 'new' or 'ground-breaking'.... its been like that for the past 5 years in paris, Italy and Spain. there's a place in New York called Belly House doing this kinda shit for the past 3 years. In Singapore, I believe it has started 3 years ago..... its more jazzy, but I'm sure it's nothing new.... if you wanna know more... checkout Dean & Kaye, Jazzadelics and of course The Tektile Movement. Btw, remember when Maniam the percussionist use to play at Zouk...?... hah!! some people thinks its 'new' and 'ground-breaking'....

That's like the music side of Delhi.......

Next. checkout this car.....





this happens to be the pride & joy of the Indian roads....... its called the Ambassador by hindustan Motors. Its only being used by the government officials and taxis. As amusing as it look, and as old as it look,..... this is what the Indians are proud of as this IS their car....... its not about how it look like, how fast it goes or what the car can do (even though I think this car has the loudest horn you've ever heard).... the fact that this car belongs to the Indian public, something that they can call their own. The only time that I saw a Mercedes was at the hotel where were we staying.... it was for the visiting Afghanistan president's limo, it was an 8-door Mercedes limo. (yes, yes... we stayed at the same hotel with the Afghan prez)....

To the Indian people.... I salute you guys for being proud of your own product!!

Unfortunately, I can't say the same here..... this is why.....

We've got talents all over the island, yet most of them are still floating around desperate for a chance or opportunity... only A chance! here's what I thought... somehow, somewhere,.... somebody always knows a someone who is talented with something but is not getting a chance, opportunity or somewhat. they ended up being a nobody, unemployed and unwanted. In fact, some who actually did get the chance, blew it away, took it for granted and abuse it.... I wonder who's to blame....

however, I still think that there are a few more who are being left out due to language barrier, dialect group, or even, being stereotyped. We've got musicians, artist, DJs and other talents whom are being left out, simply because they are not Caucasian enough...?? damn that's old skool!!

I remembered once that DJ Rattle (ranked Top 10 in the world) couldn't land an advertisement job for Motorola b'coz he didn't look 'commercial' enough. Ya he's fat, but he's CUTE!!... Marc Anthony, the local sax player (he plays better than Kenny G!!), couldn't get the better gigs b'coz he looks like a Beng from Joo Chiat Place...?? (if you don't believe that he's good, come watch him this friday at Pool Room Bar.... I'll buy you a drink if you think he's crap!!)

I was once turned down for an audition in a club who's fronting House music.... the question they asked me...."you sure you can play house music, not RnB??... can you really play on turntables??...". In the end, i didn't get the chance to audition coz they say..... "I look like a hip hop DJ, it doesn't suit the club." .... what the .....!! I was wearing an Adidas track top and Levi's... what's so hip hop...??

Anyway... I got the drift.

Back to the topic....

I think we should give our own talents a chance first and groom them to be world class.... from then on, we can start appreciating our very own product and brag along with it...... and that is why, I want to invite all the local talents to get in touch with me if you have what it takes to be 'world-class'... my new outlet will be the venue for local talents to showcase, and show-off. In fact, I'm inviting non-locals also to come forward and share my space..... if you're into music, art, visuals or even poetry.... hook up with me and lets talk crap!!

This is not a revolution, its just a movement.... to share all things local!!

You've heard Asia Bagus...... now, lets go for the Singapura Style.....

Mari Kita Rakyat Singapura, Sama-sama menuju.... (drum 'n' bass mix).... check it out at MP3.com.sg (duh!!)

Peace Out & Selamat Malam (Good Night!)

No comments: