Thursday, May 08, 2008


FIELD REPORT (not that anyone's interested....)

The Denon DJ Asian Tour started in Ho Chin Minh City today.  This is the first time in the history of the former city known as Saigon that a seminar cum workshop of such kind is being organised.  To be frank, I am quite flattered that I am the guy who's actually conducting this seminar.  For those of you who's familiar at conducting seminars...... you would understand at how taxing it can be.  The attention given is great but, there's too much things resting on your shoulders. 

Total number of participants - close to a hundred people, ranging from professional and bedroom DJs, producers, sound engineers, event organisers, promoters and club owners.  Everyone wants to be  part of history, listening at this 'kampung boy' talk cock at how to DJ professionally, play equipments like a real DJ, act and dress like a DJ, ........ and how to entertain like a DJ.  Not only that I had to showcase on Denon DJ equipments, I was requested to show my knowledge on the Pioneer CDJs.   To be frank, I think I did pretty fly for a brown guy.  

However, what surprise me the most was my trip to the clubs on Tuesday nights.  Realised that there are no clubs that play RnB nor Hip Hop..........fuh!! what a relieve!! At least I'm not listening to the same ol' crap here.  Every club here plays HOUSE music........not the cheesy Top 40 remixes, but the real thing........ no bloody Axwell, Fredde LeGrand or Bob Sinclair shit.... its the real deal here!  No 'mickey mouse' music or any of those "Ah Beng" techno stuffs.  The sound is real and of quality stuff.  Thumping and 'driving' all the way.  Its something like what Yukun use to play during the Gatecrasher's night at the former Centro.  In simple English, I'm beginning to love HOUSE music again.  It isn't funky, soulful or even 'dirty' ........ its just plain thumping good HOUSE.  There only setback is........... the don't understand what 'euphoric' sound is, breakdowns, and the mixes are all short.  Each track last about 4 minutes and the DJs don't hold their music for long mixes.  Nevertheless, the mixing is tight, sound is tuff and 'driving'.  It feels good when the kicks and bassline really vibrates your testicles!!

Therefore, when I did the showcase today, I got to play tracks that I can never got to drop in Singapore.  Some of the 'big' club DJs were very cold in the beginning, but later on things got warmer and we got to chill together and share tips and loose 'tops'.  Just like the previous trip in Sri Lanka, autograph sessions, photo-sessions and interviews suddenly became part of the itinerary.  All in all....... its been a good first-day session.

Last I heard, DJ Smalls making his way here next 2 weeks for a Nokia event.  Another Singapore DJ painting this town pink!! (its already red here in Saigon....... Communist country)

Looks like I may not get to buy souveniers for some family and friends.  Another long day tomorrow, and in the evening, I'll be jamming with the Denon DJ of Vietnam, who also happens to be the Heineken Thirst Champion of Vietnam.  Cool guy!  His wife is also his DJ partner in his residence club.  How cool is that??!!

Oh well....... More reports tomorrow if I have the time.  Shit!! No time to 'massage baby'......... The Duke isn't happy at all.  He hates the close attention given to us, coz he didn't have time to go 'field trip'...........

See ya tmw.  I'm gonna go get a ride home..........



No comments: